Debt Recovery Department
Ian Chivers - Partner & Chartered Legal Executive
Since qualifying in 1979, Ian has practiced exclusively in Civil Litigation across a broad spectrum, including Personal Injury, Landlord & Tenant, Employment and general Common Law disputes. Ian also has a significant portfolio of Private Law family cases. He is an experienced advocate and has advocacy practice rights in all civil litigation and family matters conducted in the County Court.
Loren Selby - Trainee Legal Executive
Loren graduated with Joint Honours in Legal Studies and Applied Criminology in 2014 and is now a Trainee Legal Executive completing a Fast Track Diploma Course with CILEx in the Practice of Family Law and Civil Litigation.
Loren advises both individuals and companies in relation to debt recovery. Her client base has grown considerably and she is now able to confidently advise clients on their chances of a successful recovery, the Money Claim Online process and the instruction of both County and High Court Enforcement Officers.
Debt Recovery Fees
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice and a default Judgment can be obtained. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
|Debt Value||Court Fee||Our Fee (incl VAT)||Total|
|Up to £300||£25||£240||£265|
|£300.01 to £500||£35||£240||£275|
|£500.01 to £1,000||£60||£240||£300|
|£1,000.01 to £1,500||£70||£240||£310|
|£1,500 to £3,000||£105||£240||£345|
|£3,000.01 to £5,000||£185||£240||£425|
|£5,000.01 to £10,000||£410||£240||£650|
|£10,000.01 to £100,000||4.5% of the claim||£240|
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- That the above Court fees are correct at the date of publishing  and when making the Claim online. Should it become necessary to issue a paper claim the Court fees will vary.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
- Fixed costs can be claimed in addition to the Court fee and this is dependent on the Claim value. This can be discussed with you.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
- When Judgement in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within 14 days or the date provided within the Judgment, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Matters usually take 4-6 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to obtaining a default Judgment if required. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve and incur further fees.
Please note, if you are a company claiming against an individual, the debtor must within the pre-action protocol letter be provided with 30 days in which to respond to the debt. This will of course increase time estimates.